Life in the South

The trials and tribulations of parenthood and living away from family from a "Yankee" raising a baby in the south.

Sunday, January 15, 2006

"Speed Humps"

Life in the South

So today Adam had a soccer game (they won) and afterwards we decided to drive around a couple different areas up by downtown to check and see if it is somewhere we would eventually like to buy a house. Well lets see, in the first neighborhood, they didn't have speed bumps, they had "Speed Humps" which I'm sorry just makes me think about bad things. What exactly is the difference between a speed bump and a speed hump? I now know the difference after being able to see a speed hump, but think about the city planners sitting around saying "I don't think a speed bump will slow people down enough, let's make something else and call it a speed hump." Is that how that conversation would go? Interesting thought process of these city planners. I wonder how much they get paid to come up with these things. And then lets make all these huge yellow street signs to put all over this neighborhood "Speed Humps." Does anyone else think this is odd?

The second neighborhood had the local Chinese restaurant on the corner. Every place has to have one! Well, this particular restaurant's billboard claimed "New York Style Chinese Food." I don't even know where to go with this one. It really confuses me.

To end our neighborhood tour we stumbled upon this really cool looking place. There were townhomes, condos, and then some really nice homes. (For those of you that know, think about living in the apartments around Easton just the "square" was not as big as Easton and they are little shops, not a mall. . .Got the picture?). So we turn the corner and see the sign for the sales office. (now back to the beginning, remember we are coming from Adam's soccer game, so he stinks and we are both in nylon pants and sweatshirts) I'm ready to go in and get some prices on these things. Luckily the agent was out in the community. At a first glance at the poster inside the window I thought it said 185,000. I was ecstatic! I thought we found our next home. At a second glance, yep, extra comma 1,185,000. Holy Shit! So, dressed in our sweats we turn around and got right back in the car. We did figure out that those were the huge homes, so we did e-mail them from the comforts of our 700 sq. ft. apartment in our sweats to get some pricing information. (But don't freak out dad, we aren't going to buy until we sell something!)

Until next time!

1 Comments:

  • At 12:22 PM , Blogger Heather said...

    Take a picture of the signs and post! My humps, my humps, my lovely speed humps!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home