Life in the South

The trials and tribulations of parenthood and living away from family from a "Yankee" raising a baby in the south.

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Vocab Lesson

So, after working today with my manager and another elderly lady (approx 70) I have a better idea of vocab here in GA.

Iss- As in "Here honey, iss over here." Not even close to it's. As a teacher, writing iss, makes me think of I.S.S. which is in school suspension.

Snot- (no, not what comes out of your nose) as in "No honey, snot over there, iss over here." I guess that would be a compound word between iss and not.

Fixin-Now this can be used in many different ways, usually meaning "I am getting ready to." My fav comment from today was from my manager while we were doing inventory was "I'm fixin to go up this shelf." Meaning she was getting ready to climb up the shelf to check boxes.

Deppo (Think of Johnny Depp-o) his has to be my second favorite. My manager went missing and I went to the front to ask the elderly lady where she had gone. Her reply was "To the deppo." Okay, so I am standing thinking about all the shops that are around us and finally I ask her "Where's the deppo?" "Well, honey (loves to call me honey) iss right across the street." Still wondering, I ask "Where at?" She's then replies "Don't you have the Home Deppo in Ohio?" Oh, Home Depot. I stand corrected. This whole conversation seriously took like 5 minutes for me to figure out what the damn deppo was.

The iss, snot and deppo all came from the same lady. Later her husband stopped in to say hi. I was introduced to him. His name was Billy Jack. That sure explained a lot about her language. Imagine going through your life married to a man named Billy Jack. Here's a better question, why do people in the south use 2 names?

Oh, just one more thing I forgot to mention. I learned this in TN and was reminded of it. For those of you that don't know the Civil War (as I taught 2-3 years to high school kids) is known as the War of Northern Aggression here in the south. They don't even know what the Civil War is. Guess I can't use my awesome lesson plans on the civil war down here!

Everything is a Coke, especially here in ATL where Coca-cola is. Unless you are speaking to an older Atlantian (like again the lady I work with and Billy Jack~her man) she calls it a co-cola. So if you order a Coke here they ask you what kind. Even root beer is considered a coke until you specify.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home