Life in the South

The trials and tribulations of parenthood and living away from family from a "Yankee" raising a baby in the south.

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Adventure in the ATL

So, we were just driving around areas of downtown looking for places/areas we might want to live. Just a few things that struck me. . .We found this really cute area called Candler Park-love it and adorable houses. So we start driving down side streets and looking for houses for sale. We find one that has an info tube so I pull over and have Adam hop out. . .so while I'm sitting in the car I look at the car in front of me and it has a huge bumper sticker that says "Honky." Now the thing that really struck me is that someone who lives in a $350,000 home has this bumper sticker on their old beat up mini-van. I also must mention that in the O of honky there was an outline of the state of Texas. Very amusing. Very confusing. I thought honky was a bad thing?

If you have read my earlier posts, specifically the Speed Humps post, about the million dollar subdivision that we stumbled upon after a soccer game one day, we decided to revisit it today. (this time we were showered and in clean clothes). We decided to amuse ourselves and tour their condominiums. (Now, mind you, this girl from Spfld, thinking condo, thought of her friend growing up in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, huge kitchen, living room, laundry room, formal dining, den, etc. . .for around $200,000.) Okay, so we go into the sales office (with the sign that I thought was 185,000 and was really over a million) and we join a tour of the condos. We were to see a 2 bedroom and a 1 bedroom, starting at 160,000ish. Needless to say-nothing like the Spfld girl was thinking. Of course the one we liked was over 280,000 and like 1000 square feet. Maybe if we cut all our belongings in half and still left our TN house furnished, maybe we would fit. Not 2 bedrooms, 1 bedroom and a "flex" space. But it had bamboo floors! And they are environmentally friendly. Whatever. Then, the tour guide starts talking to each couple on the tour and comes to the single guy with us. He is just looking for an apartment/condo to stay at just 2 days a week when he works in the city, his real house is in Athens. Damn. . .wonder what he does? A $250,000 home for about 2 days a week? I joked with Adam that I was going to play single, pick him up. . .keep this guy at one home and Adam at the other to tap his bank account! Adam didn't think that was very funny. Then we came up with the fact that we actually own 2 places too, and maybe we were just looking for a destination home, somewhere where we could go play. Or, it could be our 'guest house' 30 minutes from where we live now. . . just in case the guests get on our nerves. Or maybe it could just be our weekend house for when we go out downtown. . .Anyways, obviously not living there.

So our quest continues, but we did find more speed humps today! Still makes me laugh, and Mel, makes me think of your "Quickies"

1 Comments:

  • At 12:39 PM , Blogger Heather said...

    You don't even want to THINK about how small my apt. is. You might get claustrophobic. Let's just say 1000 sq. feet is about 750 more than my "home." I heart NY.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home