Life in the South

The trials and tribulations of parenthood and living away from family from a "Yankee" raising a baby in the south.

Monday, September 21, 2009

There are nurseries for babies like mine

Last weekend our friend's baby, Avery, was baptized at a Methodist church very close to our house. It was a beautiful church and one that I have actually been thinking of attending since we have other friends that go there. There were quite a few babies there since all of our friends attended with their children and Jake was just very excited to see all of them. Every time another baby would look at him, he would squeal with delight. When the choir would sing, yep, my baby was 'singing' right along with them. After the baptism was complete it was time for prayer and then the sermon. . . Well, right when everyone got quiet, Jake decided it was his turn to talk. Finally the minister said "I think I'm going to have some competition today" and of course we were seated in the first two pews since they were reserved for the family and friends of the baptism so I just felt like everyone was staring. So, as soon as the minister said that, Jake thought he needed to reply with more squeals of delight. The minister then said "I think that boy was born to preach." Okay, more chuckles from the congregation and it was like Jake knew he was 'on' and seriously answered the minister. Finally, the minister said, "You know we have a nursery." I think he was just joking, but I did end up taking Jake out and sitting in the back hallway for the last half hour of church. You know, it really pissed me off, it's not like he was screaming and crying. If he was doing that, I would have taken him out--but he was happy. I did have a good time back there with a few other of my friends that decided to bring their kids back as well, but man, was I embarrassed. I know the minister probably meant well, but holy cow--they make nurseries for babies like mine.

So to settle the score, I called my aunt and uncle (who is a minister) to see how he would respond to the situation. My uncle said he would never do anything like that and my aunt that it was the rudest thing ever! After talking to Aunt Linda tonight, it seems I even got a shout out in Keith's sermon this past week at church!!
Oh well, at least he was happy and wasn't screaming. . .I will listen to his squeals of delight over and over--they can't help but make you smile.

Here is a family picture from the baptism:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home